Mar 11, 2008

Amazing RocketDock

To be truthful, I am a Windows / Linux guy. The last time I worked on Mac OS X was about 5 years ago, when I worked as a developer on Adobe InDesign 2.0.

Apple DockThe one thing that really fascinated me on Mac OS X was the Dock. The Dock is Apple's answer to the Start menu in Windows, albeit only a little more stylish.

When I moved to a different product in Adobe, I started missing the Dock that I had so got used to liking on my Mac. And I started searching for a replacement of the Dock on Windows.

RocketDock on Windows XP That was when I stumbled upon RocketDock. RocketDock is free implementation of the Apple Dock for Windows users, only much, much better. Here's how RocketDock looks like.

The RocketDock team describes their product as: The single greatest piece of software. Ever. I am not sure if that is 100% accurate, but it's pretty close. Being an engineer myself, I know the kind of technical maturity and sophistication that goes in to build an application like RocketDock.

Here's a small video that shows RocketDock in action:


As you can make out from the video, RocketDock is as good as any paid dock implementation for Windows (such as ObjectDock). Heck, maybe it is even better.

It has multiple features like different screen placement options, minimize to dock functionality, live window previews (in Windows Vista), transparency adjustment, running application indicators, multiple hover and click effects, autohide functionality, hundreds of skins to choose from, and a lot more.

I highly recommend you to try out RocketDock on your Windows-based computers. To know more about RocketDock, click here.

No comments: